Term 2 Week 10: Friday 5 July 2024

Term 2 Week 10: Friday 5 July 2024

Important Dates 2024
Friday 5 July – Semester 2 Year 5 & 6 Basketball registrations close-off
Friday 5 July – Term 3 Flippa Ball registrations close-off

Friday 5 July – End of Term 2
Monday 22 July – Start of Term 3
Monday 22 July – Table Tennis registrations close-off
Monday 22 July – Bring in costume for the Whole School Production

Friday 16 August – Whole School Production Cast A
Friday 23 August – Whole School Production Cast B
Please refer to the Hero calendar on your app or click here to see future events at Sunnybrae.

IN THIS ISSUE:
Celebrating Matariki
Production Update:
Make up artists needed
Hero Partnership
ESOL Graduates
Mental Health Education
BOT Update
Sports Update: Registrations open Table Tennis
Community Notices

The PB4L focus for Week 1 Term 3 will be on:
Independence: Everywhere – Be organised and ready to learn. 

Celebrating Matariki
Ngā mihi nui ki a koutou – huge acknowledgements to all who contributed to Sunnybrae’s first Matariki Dawn Breakfast.
Thank you to Mr Vella and the tamariki who sang waiata ataahua (beautiful songs) for us, it started our morning so well. Ka pai tō koutou mahi, well done to those tamariki who read their Matariki mahi for us, we loved all your contributions.
Thank you to all the SNS families who contributed veggies for our Matariki Soup. And of course, e mihi ana ki a koe to Whaea Amber who, with her team of helpers, prepared the delicious kai that we all got to enjoy, both on the morning and the day before – it was DELICIOUS! 
It felt so good to be at our Matariki celebration together as a community, on the perfect Matariki morning that had dawned for us. Mānawatia a Matariki!

Student Recounts:
Kia Ora Koutou Katoa, Ko Conor toku ingoa, thanks for joining us at Sunnybrae’s first-ever Matariki Breakfast! I’m really glad you could get yourself out of bed this morning. Matariki is such a special part of our school, and I’m honoured to talk about why it means so much to us. Matariki is a cluster of stars, also known as Pleiades, that you can see low on the horizon in the northeast during the early morning. There are 9 whetu in the cluster, and each one has its own significance. Their names are Waitī, Waitā, Waipuna-ā-rangi, Tupuānuku, Tupuārangi, Ururangi, Pōhutukawa, Hiwa-i-te-rangi, and the mother star, Matariki. When these stars appear, it marks the start of the Maori New Year. Did you know that Matariki became a public holiday just two years ago, in August 2022. And because it follows the Māori lunar calendar, the date changes every year. It’s a time for us to come together with our loved ones, enjoy delicious food, set new goals, and honour those who have passed away. These stars are incredibly important, as they guided our tīpuna across the Pacific to Aotearoa. Today, we’re here to share some great food, celebrate, and most importantly, enjoy each other’s company. Once again, thank you for getting up early to come to celebrate Matariki with us. I hope that you have/had a lovely time and that you will be able to see the stars before the sky gets bright and they disappear. Nga mihi me Ma te wa, Thank You and Goodbye. By Conor – Room 20

This morning I went to the Matariki breakfast. The food was delicious. I had soup first then I had milo. It was a while to finish the soup because it was amazing and very hot. I went out and saw the sparkling stars then I realised that there were nine stars and one was very big so I said wait, this is the Matariki stars. Then my friend told me to run so I ran with them around the school. I felt the warmth in my heart and the warmth in my chest. I felt like I was very tired. By Hank – Room15

The whole time I was walking to school I was looking for Matariki, also known as Subaru or Pleiades. When I was nearly there, I saw Matariki because I had watched a video on how to find Matariki. Once I was at Sunnybrae I ran straight to the field because that’s where my friends were. We played and chatted for a bit. Then we sang two songs and Zoe did a speech. Next we fed the stars and gave our wish to Hiwa-i-te-rangi. We had two minutes of silence to remember the people that have passed away this year. After that I listened to three children tell us their pepeha (including me). After that, it was time for soup, fry bread, porridge and Milo! We all went into the hall and said our karakia kai and then had soup and fry bread and milo. Luckily I went early and the line was short. Lastly, I had to drop my brother to NIS. By the time I got back the 8.30am bell had rung. A bonus point for that day was that there was leftover soup so I had some at lunch. I can’t wait for next year’s Matariki Breakfast! By Ammon – Room16

Blah, blah, blah….people were chatting about random stuff and stars so I guess Matariki is pretty famous. Then in a blink of an eye, everyone was called into a cluster by the staff and a family. Then Ms Clow said “all of us are gonna feed the stars”. So with that said, the family lifted the lid of the hot pot. The steam rose from the hot pot. It was satisfying. Next, the people who showed RICE in their work came up to present. After a few people had showed their work, it was my turn. All of a sudden my confidence faded away and I felt as small as a bird. As I read my work my confidence began to build up again, then I felt as big as a tower. As I finished reading my work, I received a round of applause. Then joy burst inside me. All of a sudden someone shouted “time to eat”. Everyone dashed into the hall to get heavenly food. I didn’t get too much food because I wasn’t that hungry. After that delicious grub we went home to get my bag. By Benson – Room 16

Here are some beautiful Matariki wishes from room 14
My wish to hiwa-i-te-rangi is…
to pet a piwakawaka. Mika
to get a kitty cat. Daisy
for war to stop. Cove
for my Mum and Dad to always be next to me and my brother. Jane

WHOLE SCHOOL PRODUCTION UPDATE:
Music Through the Ages – Written & Directed by Nicko Vella
Performance Dates:
Friday 16th August – Cast A: Rooms 1, 3, 4, 10, 13, 15, 17, 19
Friday 23rd August – Cast B: Rooms 5, 8, 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20
at Westlake Girls High School Event Centre – 7pm. Tickets will go on sale in Term 3.

Make Up Artist Needed
As part of our preparation for the school production, we are seeking a talented parent willing to be our makeup artist to assist in bringing our main cast of 7 characters to life.  The makeup will be applied before the show at the Westlake Girls High School venue, including 1 dress rehearsal during school time and 2 consecutive Friday evenings. Materials will be provided or reimbursed. We need help with designing and applying makeup that aligns with the characters and the overall theme of the production. This is a wonderful opportunity to contribute to a vibrant and enthusiastic school community. If you are interested or know someone who might be, please email
office@sunnybrae.school.nz by July 25. We would be grateful for any assistance and are happy to discuss any details or answer any questions.

Costume for School Production
The students are busy practising for the upcoming production
that is being held in Term 3.  Your classroom teacher has advised you of the costume needed for your classroom dance in an earlier Hero post.
Please help us out by sending your costume to school on Monday 22nd or Tuesday 23 July (Term 3, Week 1). The costume will need to be supplied on a coat hanger, plus have attached a paper/plastic bag that will hold the accessories your child will wear on the night. This will be returned to you after the show.  

Hero have just announced their new partnership with Noel Leeming, granting Hero users exclusive in-store discounts.
This partnership aims to make essential tools and technologies more accessible for whole school communities to drive student success. As a caregiver of our school, we’re excited to share that this discount extends to you, too! How does it work? Get Your Code: In your Hero App, navigate to ‘Hero’ – your barcode is located here, in the new ‘Special Offers’ tab. Shop, Scan & Save: Present your barcode in-store to access exclusive discounts across a range of products. Happy shopping! 
*Full terms and conditions – click here

ESOL graduates 
Congratulations to the following students who will graduate from the ESOL programme this week: Polina and Lucas – Room 12, Scarlett, Effie and Jeremy – Room 13, Joy – Room 15, Erin, Gordon, Nathan W and Nathan Z – Room 16, Doris – Room 19, Yutong – Room 20. These students will receive a graduation certificate at Friday’s assembly.        

Designed for NZ children, Mitey supports schools in delivering an evidence-based approach to mental health education for Years 1-8.

Mana Tangatarua
Children have the skills, knowledge and confidence to navigate, with mental wellness, two or more worlds. They become open to learning different ways of doing things and making decisions using integrity, appreciating other people’s values and needs.

Mana Tangatarua develops when children know:

• they have something to teach others.
  • everyone else has something to offer and teach them.

Children demonstrate Mana Tangatarua when they:

• are interested in learning about other cultures and communities.
  • understand and reflect on Māori history, especially the history of their local area.
  • have some ideas about what they would like to do when they leave school.
  • try hard to pronounce people’s names and place names properly.
  • are open to new ideas and doing things differently.
  • make decisions with moral courage and integrity.
  • are mindful of the values and needs of others.

Ref: Mitey Sir John Kirwan Foundation

BOT NEWS:
Update from the Sunnybrae Normal School Board of Trustees.
During the school’s Teacher Only Day on 31 May, all staff were at school and involved in a full day of professional learning and development on the following topics: 
Nicole Ashby, an Educational Psychologist, unpacked the reasons for challenging behaviour. Dr Deborah Lomax from Cognition Education discussed an Assessment for Learning approach to support student learning, as a student and teacher collaboration. Brenda MacPherson from Māori Achievement Collaborative returned to help explain the difference between a mihi and pēpēha and all staff created their own pēpēha and practised saying it. A literacy moderation was also undertaken by all teachers. 
Ngā mihi – Catrina Scott, BoT Staff Representative and Room 14 Teacher/Kaiako

SPORTS UPDATE:
Year 5 & 6 Table Tennis
Games are played at the North Harbour Table Tennis Centre (behind the YMCA) in Akoranga Drive, Northcote, every Wednesday from 5pm – 7pm. Session dates: Wednesday 31 July – Wednesday 25 September. Year 5 and 6 students only.

The estimated cost will be $40 per student and will be loaded onto your MyKindo account for payment before the start of the season.  Parents are responsible to transport their children to and from the venue. Registration closes Monday 22 July.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR TABLE TENNIS

Naming your child’s school items
Please ensure all items that come to school are clearly named. This includes
clothing, drink bottles, lunchboxes, shoes, school bags and swimwear. We do our very best to get the named items back to your children as soon as possible. We appreciate your cooperation.

Kind regards
Lorene Hurd,
Principal
SUNNYBRAE NORMAL SCHOOL

REMINDER:
Please note that all children are to be collected from school by 3.00 pm. If you are unable to collect before this time, you may be interested in booking your child into the YMCA after-school club held in the School Hall.  

Click here for information on Y Holiday Programmes – The Y North Shore – YMCA North

Click here to view our brochure North Shore Combined July 2024 (ymcanorth.org.nz)

Click here to make a booking https://ymca-akl-ham-bop.aimyplus.com/

Please do not hesitate to contact us on oscar@ymcanorth.org.nz for any further questions or help you may require.

COMMUNITY NOTICES:

10% off first session if you mention Sunnybrae Normal School

Copyright © Sunnybrae Normal 2024
Click here to unsubscribe.
Powered by KiwiSchools 4.0
Call us on 09 443 5058
36 Sunnybrae Road Hillcrest Auckland